Recollections of the hunter and his prey

About this blog

This is a blog describing the descent into madness brought about by record collecting. It is primarily about the hunt, the smells, the disappointments, the excitement, and the random occurrences surrounding vinyl records. I listen to them too, a lot, but from my perspective the hunt is what makes collecting records an exciting hobby, although it may be maddeningly frustrating and incomprehensible to those around me.

On the hunt for:

  • Articles of Faith-Give Thanks LP
  • Bhopal Stiffs 10 song demo tape
  • Black Cat Bones-Barbed Wire Sandwich LP
  • Blues Creation - Live LP
  • Freddie Hubbard-Black Angel LP
  • Henry Franklin - The Skipper LP
  • Herbie Hancock-Flood LP
  • Mount Everest Trio - LP
  • Neu!-75 LP
  • Revenant - Prophecies of a Dying World LP
  • Sam Cooke-Ain't That Good News LP
  • Sam Cooke-Night Beat LP
  • Strike Under-Immediate Action 12" EP
  • The Effigies-Haunted Town 12" EP
  • The Virgil Lights - (anything else out there besides the 45?)
  • Watchtower-Energetic Disassembly LP
  • Witchcraft-s/t LP

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Finds in Denver

So I had another conference in Denver last weekend, and this time I spent as little time as possible "conferencing" and as much time record shopping as possible. Too bad I didn't do this in Chicago, because the finds in Denver were pretty weak. I first went Wax Trax Records, which I had planned on going to since I'd been there about 9 years ago and remember it being pretty cool. My memory really failed me, or my tastes have completely changed, but I thought Wax Trax was pretty weak. They have a ton of records, but almost all of it is common junk. I did manage to find these two Esquivel records for $2 each, and my wife wanted the Jay & the Techniques, but we spent a lot of time here for very little. It was a huge disappointment.

A few blocks from Wax Trax my wife and I found another place called Jerry's(?) Record Exchange. They had a slightly better selection, but it was also pretty unorganized, smelled like smoke, and the owner had all these boxes of cds on top of all the records, so it was a little bit of an ordeal to flip through the records. Some of the prices were outrageous, but I did grab this Ten Years After record which I had been wanting for a while, and Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak. I'm not sure why I got the Thin Lizzy record, I think I felt like it was one I needed to have in my collection, but its pretty terrible. 

The rest of the finds were pretty random. We were walking around a neighborhood on South Broadway and happened upon a bar having some kind of rock n roll swap meet inside. I found this fifteen record, and the Miroslav Vituous record which I have been searching for online and off for over a year. The really drunk guy who sold me the Miroslav disc told me him and his buddies used to listen to this and do mushrooms in Alabama back in the 70s. He also kissed my hand. 

There was a book store near the bar, and they also had a big pile of records. The Runaways was probably the best find of the trip, I don't think I've ever come across this before. The Bobby Brown was my wife's pick, and we had a little argument over whether or not I would even add this to the collection list. I grudgingly have...


Finally, I picked up this Cure record (looks mint and unplayed) at a farmer's/flea market. While it was super cheap, I don't even know why I really got this. I have a bunch of Cure records, but I also already own this on cassette and cd. I'm never going to listen to this record. The more exciting part about this flea market was this guy who had a couple portable wind up 78 players that I almost bought. I'm mad at myself for not getting one, but at least I learned a lot about how they worked from the seller. The thought of carrying a big metal box and another box of 78s on the plane with me just was too horrendous. 

Anyway, I'm not that impressed with digging in Denver, although almost everything was pretty cheap. This whole lot cost $46. What a great city though!

No comments:

The collection

Check it out
last updated 05/17/09

Followers